Re: Quoted text (was Re: When is "-" required in articulations?)

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Quoted text (was Re: When is "-" required in articulations?)
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:38:39 +0200

On 2008/05/24, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> Valentin Villenave wrote Saturday, May 24, 2008 8:44 AM
> > 2008/5/24 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> >> This looks right to me, and since nobody has come up with any
> >> better names, let's go with bracketed/quoted/bare.
> >
> > bracketed might be confusing with [bracketed text]]
>
> or (bracketed text), I guess.  But as these will either
> give errors or leave the brackets in the printed output
> the user will soon become enlightened.  But maybe that
> is the wrong attitude ...

Unfortunately, some users who lack motivation may likely not be
enlightened and ask for help on the mailing list (or even worse give
up).  With my limited practice of English influenced by French, it's a
significant effort for me to understand bracketed text could be
something else than text enclosed with brackets `[' and `]'.

[snip]

> When a user reads "braced text" he
> will surely either look it up immediately, realising
> can't mean "buttressed text" so must be a special term,
> or think, "Ah yes, I remember that term, it means ...".

> The problem with "text block" is that the grammatical
> object is "block" modified with "text", whereas the
> object in all the original three is the same - "text".
> If the object is different there will be difficulties
> in using the terms together or in similar sentences.

Good points.  With my 2 cents, I vote for "braced text".

Cheers,
John