Re: Infinite loop with GCC 4.3

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Infinite loop with GCC 4.3
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:18:42 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote Monday, May 26, 2008 2:49 PM
2008/5/26 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:
The position of the gcc folks is that this is Intel's fault and so they
will not fix it. This leaves us with a few options:
1) Change Real to be a long double instead of a double (on x86 only?)
2) Compile with -msse on x86
3) Find some way of forcing a truncation (as suggested in comment #88 of
the above link)
4) Anything else?

comment #60 sounds promising too. We'd have to have a small bit of
system dependent code, but it is localized, so I can live with it.

Comment #60 suggests setting the x87 control word to x027f (rather
than the default x037f) which instructs the FPU to perform its
calculations in double precision rather than double-extended
precision.  This seems both the easiest and safest way of avoiding
the problem, as double-extended precision is hardly likely to be required for LilyPond's calculations. This suggestion should work as long as the FPU is not re-initialised again, since this would reset the control word back to the default value. I don't know when this happens, but it might be at the start of a compilation unit, which means
the control word would need to be set in every compilation unit.

Trevor