Re: texi2html status

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: texi2html status
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:59:13 -0700

On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:15:17 +0200
Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 24. Mai 2008 schrieb Graham Percival:
> > 2)  Are there any remaining technical issues with our build system
> > (ie translations)?
>
> One thing, which we need to change in the current texi2html build is
> the text of cross-manual links. Currently they are:
> "The \figuremode mode simply stores the numbers and  FiguredBass
> section ___FiguredBass___ in Internals Reference context prints them
> as entered." i.e. the IR link to FiguredBass is formatted as "<a
> href=..>FiguredBass</a> section 'FiguredBass' in Internals
> Reference". I suppose we only want "<a href=...>FiguredBass</a>" in
> all cases, right? Should be easy to change....

These kinds of links are forbidden in the doc policy.  That's not
to say that they don't happen, of course.  :(

However, such links are still too long even in the @seealso
section, so there *is* a technical problem as well.  Yes, please
change all HTML links to be as such.

(I don't know whether this would be an extra option to texi2html,
or simply an override in our texi2html-init.pl script)

> The other thing that is still missing is proper support for IE (since
> Microsoft completely messed up support for the position: absolute CSS
> property...). In the worst case (which I hope to prevent, of course),
> in IE the yellow area will scroll with the page and not be fixed.
> But if you do the announcement / RFC on the -user list, please tell
> them that support for IE is not there yet, but will be implemented
> before the release. Currently, users should use a different browser
> for their comments.

Ok.

> > 3)  If the answer to the previous two is `no', when is a good time
> > to start discussing the silly aesthetic issues on -user?  (ie "I
> > don't like that color" or "the fonts are too small")
>
> Or: "I don't like the general page layout" etc.
>
> I think we can do that any time. There will be lots of more or less
> usefull/useless comments, of which we have to pick out the productive
> ones and apply them.

Ok.  Please make the announcement on -user yourself, whenever
you're ready (see below).

> > - we need to have at least one CSS person with git access with
> > free time when this happens, so if everybody is finishing their
> > operas or publishing or classes or whatever, we should wait a few
> > weeks even if there's no technical issues.
>
> Will there ever be a good time when people have more than enough
> time? I don't think so.

Well, there are times that are worse than others.  I have a month
left for my thesis, so I don't want to be involved at all.
Valentin AFAIK has a few weeks left to finish his opera, so he
probably can't be as involved as he'd like to be.  If you're in
the same boat, then I'd suggest waiting a month.  :)

> PS: Right now I'm merging master into the dev/texi2html branch and
> updating the copy on http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out/.
> I'll also run the linkchecker once this is done, so we have a current
> list of dangling links in the texi2html branch (which is more or less
> the same as master).

Sounds good.

Oh, one technical/css issue:
- I'd like @example to be indented by the same amount that
  @lilypond[quote] gets indented, if possible.  For example,
NR 1.1.2 Transpose:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/texi2html-out/Documentation/user/lilypond/Changing-multiple-pitches.html

It would be nice if the initial \transpose syntax was on the same
level as the lilypond example.  Actually, for that matter, if
would be nice if they used the same font, fontsize, etc.