Re: doc team git setup

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: doc team git setup
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:14:57 +0200

2008/8/14 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Han-Wen, did you have any thoughts about the "separate git tree
> for docs" email?  One way or another, there's two doc writers who
> should be able to push to the normal git tree for docs (whether
> that's part of master or a separate one).
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2008-07/msg00343.html
>
> The past discussion on only had two replies.  This isn't urgent, but I
> don't know of any particular reason to postpone sorting it out now.

I don't know what you're expecting to sort out, because current Git
setup for docs seems generally fine to me.  The only detail I'd like
to point out is the care on commit messages:

* the author should be set if necessary with "git commit --author="My
Name <address@hidden> ..." instead of apppearing in the commit
message;
* patches should be applied with "git am", or in case of people that
can only submit plain files or simple diffs, set the author
appropriately like above;
* the commit message begins with a single line that sums up the
commit, then if you have more to write, write a blank line between
this single line and the detailed explanation; in case of important
doc additions or rewrites, please explain this way the philosophy
behind your changes, it's more efficient than a message to the lists
because it's easy to find it and read a couple of years later.

These tips are too late for Graham :-p, but I'd expect doc writers
with Git push access to follow them.

Best,
John