Re: Clean history

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Clean history
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:27:27 +0200

2008/8/18 Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden>:
> Sorry about this mess.  I don't know how this happened.
> I promise to do my best to avoid any reiteration, unless shutdown.

Ah, got it.  You made some changes and committed, then you wanted to
update your branch with upstream (i.e. git.sv.gnu.org) changes, which
you did quite frequently (even twice a day sometimess :-P), but in the
meantime you didn't push your own changes back to git.sv.gnu.org, so
Git created a bunch or "merge branch" commits.  The rule implied by
this story is: if you have committed some changes, either push them
immediately after pulling (or even better rebasing as explained by
Reinhold), either (if you wait for a long time) look at the revisions
graph in Gitk and *please* rebase before pushing.

I'm a bit sorry I didn't notice that when merging lilypond/translation
into master, but I could hardly avoid it:  lilypond/translation
commits are to be added to master in some way, and I don't want to
erase lilypond/translation and recreate it after rebasing, because our
tools for checking and updating translations rely on committishes that
are always preserved later in the history, which is only achieved with
merging, not rebasing.

Cheers,
John