Re: PATCH: Arrowed accidentals for microtone notation

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: PATCH: Arrowed accidentals for microtone notation
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 03:15:27 +0100

2008/12/2 Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:

> Sorry for the late reply.

No worries. Thanks for taking a look!

> Is there any reason that inner part of flat.arrowup and friends has a
> different shape compared to a normal flat?  See attached images --
> this looks like a buglet in your code.  Besides that, everything looks
> nice.

You are right. It's caused by side effects of my changes in parts of
the code which I didn't touch. Namely, upon taking a closer look I
noticed that the reference points z3l, z3r, z10 depend on the position
of z1r, which controls the thickness of the top end of the stem. For
the arrowed accidentals I had to reduce this thickness a little to
make them look nicer, but that had the unintended side effect of
changing the inner part, too.

It should be easy to fix but I'd like to investigate the effects of
the fix somewhat more thoroughly and fiddle a bit more with the
parameter to find an optimal value before resending the patch.
However, I'm unable to compare the new accidentals side by side as in
your images because I can only investigate them in the dvi file which
is output by metafont. How do you produce these images? Are they just
screenshots from fontforge or is it possible to export these kinds of
pictures somehow? Also, how can I avoid recompiling all fonts after
making changes (which takes ages)?

Max