Re: high-quality typesetting within lilypond

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: high-quality typesetting within lilypond
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 00:38:37 +0100 (CET)

> I agree, a text engine that deals with an arbitrary stream of
> unicode is a massive effort which needs solution at the OS level so
> as to serve all applications that care to use it.

Not necessarily at the OS level, but having a solution just for
lilypond instead of reusing existing resources is bad.

> I would expect us to accept a stream of 16-bit unicodes,

Uh, no.  UTF-8 only for input.  Everything else is a nightmare to
support.

> If we can identify some common approach it should be possible to
> provide OS-specific glue which would then be supported by a
> gnu-provided engine for those platforms which lack an OS engine.

This glue consists of the Pango and Cairo libraries.  Everything's
already there, but perhaps not sophisticated enough yet.

     Werner