Re: high-quality typesetting within lilypond

From: Danalute
Subject: Re: high-quality typesetting within lilypond
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:31:03 -0800 (PST)

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> I wonder how we are going to get high-quality typesetting within
> lilypond.

Sorry to barge in with minimal understanding of the several years of
philosophy you have all seen develop here, but, please give me more of a
sense of how you mean 'typesetting'.

I think of two aspects - typeset music as was done in the 15 century (and
more recently with linotype set inexpensive editions), or typeset prose such
as the numerous text fragments that anotate music (Eg, composers name, DC al
Fine...).

I thought the music itself used the model of engraving, which might involve
glyphs from a font, but placed by music spacing algorythms rather than prose
spacing algorythms.