Re: A naive question about permissions in buildscripts/

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: A naive question about permissions in buildscripts/
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 23:06:28 -0800

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 07:58:52AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> There are two types of scripts:
>
>   . Scripts which are run by the build process.  These *must*
>     substitute the Python binary path.
>
>   . Scripts which are run by the lilypond maintainers so that the data
>     in the git repository is in good shape.  All such files should be
>     moved to a separate directory.
>
> The only question is whether those two subsets intersect.

To be pedantic, there are three types of scripts; the above two,
plus scripts that are run by the end user.  Might it be worth
rearranging the dirs to be:
  scripts/
  scripts/build/
  scripts/user/
  scripts/mainter/
?  I'm not sure what we would really gain from this, though.  But
then again, I'm not sure what we really gain from separating
buildscripts/ from mainterscripts/.

> On the other hand, there are already targets `check-translation' and
> `update-translation' in Documentation/GNUmakefile; why not use them?

Some people like Python a /lot/ more than makefiles?  ;)