Re: FretBoards

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: FretBoards
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:32:06 -0700

On 12/10/08 4:41 AM, "Richard Schoeller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd like to represent the capo point as a straight barre, but then still
> indicate the unfingered strings with 'x' or 'o'.  I think that you can
> do it in standard form as well, just not in terse.

> Better still for the capo, would be to show a straight barre without the
> dots.  But that's for another day.

Since the capo is not going to be moved very often during playing, and will
always cover all of the strings, would it make sense just to add a (capo
fret) setting to the verbose string?  The capo fret would become the lowest
fret on the diagram, and a solid bar would be drawn across the strings at
that point.

Since the capo is not part of the fingering,  we could perhaps add the capo
as part of the fret-diagram-details properties.  But as I think more about
it, the fret diagram depends on the capo setting, so it should be part of
the diagram definition.

It's probably the right thing to do to add a verbose interface to
storePredefinedFretBoard, so things like scales can be added if desired,
with the idea of moving all fret diagrams to the FretBoards context.

I think that your request is doable.  I'll try to do it over the next couple
of weeks.

Carl