Re: Diatonic notation system

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Diatonic notation system
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:50:19 +0100

On 10 Dec 2008, at 16:26, Graham Breed wrote:

You can uncomment anything you like now because the
rational numbers are accepted.

Fine.

But if you try and do \key d \bayati you'll get that error.

OK. I don't remember. It works in E24, though.

I've checked the documentation for key
signatures and see no indication that \key b \bayati could possible
work though.

In E12, I use key signatures like
 hitzaz = #`(
 (0 . 0)
 (1 . ,FLAT)
 (2 . 0)
 (3 . 0)
 (4 . 0)
 (5 . ,FLAT)
 (6 . ,FLAT)
 )
 \tempo 4 = 144
 \key b \hitzaz
 \time 7/16
and they work just fine.

That's nice.  But the documentation clearly says "To create
non-standard key signatures, set this property directly."
Surprisingly enough an undocumented alternative doesn't work.

I am not sure what this means. One can some different things, how it should be displeyed in octaves. This worked though.

It would be the same, but for intermediate pitches. In Turkish and Arab
music they may give a transposition a new name, but in Farhat had
transpositions in Persian music.

What?

Farhat writes the same dastgah in different keys, with different key signatures. In Arab music, one may give it a new name. But on Maqamworld, they do speak about maqam in different keys.

I keep saying that it was a feature, not a bug, due to the development
history. You keep returning to it, creating noise.

You haven't said it was a feature before. Why do you say it's a feature now?

I feature is a bug that is intentional; they know it, and may fix it, if they have time.

One interesting thing is that if I make the key signature

  \set Staff.keySignature =  #`(
    (2 . ,HALFFLAT)
    ((0 . 6) . ,FLAT))

then a spurious flat gets added instead of a spurious half-flat.  And
if I set the half-flat to actually be a half-flat, the spurious
accidentals still get added.  And even if I change the half-flat to be
a full-flat, the spurious accidentals are still added.  So are you
sure this is a bug to do with the sixth-tones?

You mean temporary accidentals. I don't remember, but it may have been some bugs. So some general model fixing such may be needed.

  Hans