Re: Diatonic notation system

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Diatonic notation system
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 13:41:14 +0100

On 9 Dec 2008, at 13:26, Graham Breed wrote:

No, because Lilypond also preserves the number of scale steps.  At
least, it should.

I attach what I wrote for E36. There seems to be two systems, but they keep
the ratio M/m = 2.

Where are the transpositions?

I attach an example file.

I think it is the commented out part (long time ago), which for some reason only works with E24. Therefore, the keys must be written explicitly.

Let me know how to do E53.

Yes.  That would be chromatic transposition.  I can't see a way to
specify it in Lilypond.  So what does Lilypond actually do?

Do not know.

Then why are you asking for changes on the developer list?

I have not asked for changes, have I?

First compute the scale degree p + q, and compute the octave and note
name
by dividing by 7: octave is the fraction, remainder the note name. Then subtract octave and note name from p m + q M; the result is of the form (-r)m + r M, where r if > 0 is the number of sharps, and if < 0, the
number
of flats is -r.

Or it could do what it already does.

So what does it do. Does it generalize?

It records a nominal and a rational alteration.  It generalizes to
different alterations.

But that is tied to E12, right?

Yes, so change the init file. Why are we going around in circles here?

Perhaps you are stuck to the same idea, and repeating.

I'm stuck with that idea because it works.

In certain primitive settings.

Then don't use E24 for Arabic music.

You already do.

  Hans