Re: Diatonic notation system

From: Graham Breed
Subject: Re: Diatonic notation system
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:26:33 +0800

2008/12/10 Hans Aberg <address@hidden>:
> On 10 Dec 2008, at 13:01, Graham Breed wrote:

>> You can uncomment anything you like now because the
>> rational numbers are accepted.
>
> Fine.

But if you try and do \key d \bayati you'll get that error.

>> I've checked the documentation for key
>> signatures and see no indication that \key b \bayati could possible
>> work though.
>
> In E12, I use key signatures like
>  hitzaz = #`(
>  (0 . 0)
>  (1 . ,FLAT)
>  (2 . 0)
>  (3 . 0)
>  (4 . 0)
>  (5 . ,FLAT)
>  (6 . ,FLAT)
>  )
>  \tempo 4 = 144
>  \key b \hitzaz
>  \time 7/16
> and they work just fine.

That's nice.  But the documentation clearly says "To create
non-standard key signatures, set this property directly."
Surprisingly enough an undocumented alternative doesn't work.

> It would be the same, but for intermediate pitches. In Turkish and Arab
> music they may give a transposition a new name, but in Farhat had
> transpositions in Persian music.

What?

>> If the key signature works with quarter-tones but not sixth-tones
>> there must surely be a bug.  So report it.  Don't bury this in a huge
>> thread that the developers have probably given up on reading.
>
> I keep saying that it was a feature, not a bug, due to the development
> history. You keep returning to it, creating noise.

You haven't said it was a feature before.  Why do you say it's a feature now?

One interesting thing is that if I make the key signature

  \set Staff.keySignature =  #`(
    (2 . ,HALFFLAT)
    ((0 . 6) . ,FLAT))

then a spurious flat gets added instead of a spurious half-flat.  And
if I set the half-flat to actually be a half-flat, the spurious
accidentals still get added.  And even if I change the half-flat to be
a full-flat, the spurious accidentals are still added.  So are you
sure this is a bug to do with the sixth-tones?

                                 Graham