Re: Making the lilypond documentation ready for 2.12

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Making the lilypond documentation ready for 2.12
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:28:26 -0500

    Graham> 2.11.65 is so much better than 2.10.33 that it's ridiculous.  For
    Graham> the past year we've been telling everybody to use/read 2.11.x
    Graham> instead of 2.10, but that only reaches people on -user.  It's past
    Graham> time to shove 2.12 out the door.  No, it won't be perfect, but we
    Graham> can follow it up with 2.12.1 soon thereafter.

I agree with this.  It's one thing to say, "If you're interested in this
specialized thing, it's been improved a lot in the development version",
but people who provide support on this list have been saying, "No matter
what you're doing, you should use the development version," for a long
time, and that's a bad habit to get into.  In general, if nobody wants
to support the "stable" version, the version they do want to support
should become the "stable" version.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

...in Calormen, story-telling (whether the stories are true or made
up) is a thing you're taught, just as English boys and girls are
taught essay-writing. The difference is that people want to hear the
stories, whereas I never heard of anyone who wanted to read the
essays.

C. S. Lewis, _The Horse and His Boy_