GOP pre-planning: newsletter

From: Graham Percival
Subject: GOP pre-planning: newsletter
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:08:36 -0800

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 04:28:36PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2008/12/1 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>
> > - have a bi-weekly newsletter (this will hopefully continue after
> >  Aug)
>
> The LilyReport *will* be back. (we can name it otherwise if you
> prefer). I have one issue ready-to-release and pending, and I am still
> willing (and able) to publish it on a weekly basis.

Dear Valentin,

I am now going to shock you by being direct, non-excited, and
possibly less than completely polite.  I humbly beg forgiveness
for this astonishing lapse in my character, and hope that it does
not stain my reputation forever.

... yeah, but I'm still going to be funny.  And correct.  :)

I question your use of the word "still".  Why do you think that
2009 will be different from 2008 when it comes to your available
time?

- will your operas be such a huge failure that you stop composing
  anything, giving you more time for the Report?
- will your operas be such a huge financial success that you stop
  teaching piano, giving you more time for the Report?
- will your all your friends abandon you?  In such a way that you
  forget about trying to make new friends, and giving you more
  time for the Report?
- will the French government decide that artists are an extremely
  valuable national treasure and should have grant money thrown at
  them, letting you stop teaching piano, giving you more time for
  the Report?
- will you sell your compositions (and soul!) to SACEM so that you
  can stop teaching piano, giving you more time for the Report?
- will you renounce your worldly possessions and join a monestary
  that gives you food, shelter, and an internet connection,
  letting you spend your entire life on the holy contemplation of
  OSS and participation in OSS, giving you more time for the Report?

I hope the answer to those questions is "no".  Or rather, I hope
it's "no, yes, no, yes, no, maybe".  The "maybe" because I
personally really like that last one, but I don't know if you'd
want that.

Anyway, I think it would be really neat to have a newsletter with
a regular schedule, and 1/week would be difficult to maintain.
Especially if you're still doing bugs and whatnot.

That said, it *would* be nice to have it weekly -- say, every
Sunday night -- rather than every two weeks.  And finding /
training a new Bug Meister would be easier than finding somebody
else to do the newsletter.

Give it some thought, read the other GOP preliminary plans, and
give it some more thought.