Re: Building LilyPond with GUB on a 64bit machine with 32bit OS

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Building LilyPond with GUB on a 64bit machine with 32bit OS
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:42:47 +0100

Op dinsdag 16-12-2008 om 18:05 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Reinhold
Kainhofer:

[oops, back onto lily-devel]

> > This is odd, we should not be linking to anything in tools/.  Can you
> > figure out why that happens?
>
> In the lilypond config.log:
> configure:8037: checking guile compile flags
> configure:8040: result: -I/home/reinhold/lilypond/gub/target/linux-
> x86/root/usr/include
> configure:8042: checking guile link flags
> configure:8045: result: -L/home/reinhold/lilypond/gub/target/linux-
> x86/root/usr/lib -lguile -lgmp
> configure:8070: checking libguile.h usability
> [...]
> GUILE='/home/reinhold/lilypond/gub/target/tools/root/usr/bin/guile'
> GUILE_CFLAGS='-I/home/reinhold/lilypond/gub/target/linux-x86/root/usr/include'
> GUILE_CONFIG='i686-linux-guile-config'
> GUILE_LDFLAGS='-L/home/reinhold/lilypond/gub/target/linux-x86/root/usr/lib -
> lguile -lgmp'

This is OK.

> So, apparently, it is already using the guile in tools, which is linked too
> all the custom libraries rather than the system-wide libraries...

Yes, we can use tools from target/tools/, that's the whole idea of
"tools".

We just must not link to anything there, we can only link to
target/linux-x86.  It seems from this snippet

    conftest.c:2:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    /home/lilypond/gub/target/tools/root/usr/lib/libexpat.so.0: undefined
reference
    to address@hidden'

that something links to tools.  You can try running the failed gcc
command, possibly using --verbose or -Wl,--verbose to see how we
pick-up tools.

> The reason is that the check for guile-config is:

Yes, that's fine.

> I suppose the configure check should rather first check for guile-config (or
> it
> should not have the target_alias and host_alias set, since I'm not cross-
> compiling?)

technically we're not cross compiling, but GUB just pretends that we
are.  I don't even think building/using a contained toolchain will
work otherwise.

Jan.