new info for releases (was: 2.12 out - what now?)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: new info for releases (was: 2.12 out - what now?)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 18:05:48 -0800

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 02:49:46AM +0100, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 24. Dezember 2008 19:34:04 schrieb Graham Percival:
> > There seems to be some confusion about what happens next.  Here's
> > the plan.
>
> Can I commit the keySignature reverse alist patch, which should add a convert-
> ly check and print out a warning for custom-set keySignature lists?
> In other words, are we allowed to add syntax changes now?

No.  Syntax changes will only occur when we move to 2.13.

This has caught a lot of developers by surprise, so let's make
2.12 the shortest stable series ever.  2.13 will begin on 01 Feb
2009.

Here's the timeline:

Dec 2008
- only apply "last-minute" fixes for 2.12.  Stuff like translation
  updates, the convert-ly rule, updating the docs to say "manual
  for 2.12" instead of "the manual for 2.11", etc.

Jan 2009:
- we will use the (new) normal "stable release period".  This
  still means NO SYNTAX CHANGES.  I don't care how important it
  is.
- I will be releasing 2.12.x versions as appropriate.

Feb 2009:
- I will release a final 2.12 release, and begin 2.13.0.
- any kind of commits are ok.
- I will release 2.13.x versions as appropriate.

April, May, or June 2009:
- prepare for 2.14 release.  Freeze code + english docs for a week
  or two, add final convert-ly rules, etc.  Then release 2.14 and
  move into the "stable release" period again.

I'll be adding this to our upcoming "policies" documents area so
that it won't be a surprise in the future.