Re: 2.12 out - what now?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: 2.12 out - what now?
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 00:31:29 +0100

Le mercredi 24 décembre 2008 à 10:34 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> There seems to be some confusion about what happens next.

Indeed.  FWIW Fedora 10 which was out one month ago provides release
2.11.57.

> Very short-term (1-2 days):
> - John updates webpage to have 2.12 links, news item, etc.

OK, just bug me privately and I'll push everything necessary within
hours, or if I notice binaries are well uploaded to lilypond.org, I'll
push the website changes too and will bug you -- Han-Wen?

> - I send announcement to -user.

The announce should ideally be posted on info-lilypond, but because of
the confusion it's OK to do it from 2.12.1.  So, I don't announce 2.12.0
on info-lilypond, and let you take over from me any release-related post
to this list from now on.  Han-Wen, could you add Graham posting
permission on info-lilypond?  Thanks in advance!

> Short-term (1 week at most, but start this stuff now as well):
> - people commit any "last-minute" stuff to master.  DON'T TOUCH
>   STABLE/2.12.
> - people DO NOT commit anything which might possibly break stuff,
>   including translations.  Sit on those patches for a week.

(Mainly French) Translations are already broken, but it's a sensible
rule, thanks.

> - At the end of this period, we release 2.12.1 and I send
>   announcements elsewhere.

Cool, in the meantime I'm preparing French translation of the news text,
and a digest or a notification to linuxfr.org.

> Medium-term (2-4 months, depending on circumstances):
> - people commit patches which DO NOT CHANGE THE INPUT SYNTAX (no
>   convert-ly rules!) to master.
> - people DO NOT COMMIT anything which requires a convert-ly rule.
>   Sit on those patches for a month or two.  Stuff them in your own
>   private git branch.  Whatever.
> - normal doc work occurs, including breaking translations.

Agreed.

Cheers,
John