Re: SCons support in LilyPond

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: SCons support in LilyPond
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:27:26 +0100

Op zondag 04-01-2009 om 00:39 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef John
Mandereau:

> I'm afraid it is too late to resurrect SCons, or too early if you
> prefer.

Yes, quite possibly.  SCons has been the new great promising
end all solution for Make for a few years too many, maybe.
Having said that, past summer had a grand gsoc project to
add autoconf/automake compatibility, which can be used to
drop much custom hacked-up stuff from the lilypond SConstruct.

> I remember a number of packages used a so-called revolutionary
> program named SCons, I no longer encounter it.  Maybe it's superior to
> stepmake system, but we recently consolidated the makefiles enough (e.g.
> support for -j make flag, cleaning up documentation compilation) so that
> we can concentrate on other problems.

Yes, and that's valuable too.  SCons is still making progress, possibly
in a few years time...

> I will include this removal in the patch that splits stuff in
> buildscripts.

Ok.

Jan.