Re: Directory name of aux is invalid

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Directory name of aux is invalid
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:09:13 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> writes
Aargh.  This commit also implies creation of scripts/aux/.  I don't
enjoy so much saying this, but the limitation we hit is worthwhile:
Windows sucks, I wish there were only Unix OSes. :-)

I can't really apologise for Windows, and I wasn't aware of this
limitation until I hit this problem and investigated, but I'm sorry
this has caused you extra work.

It's a dos limitation that has carried into Windows. And it bites professionals. I recently had to teach my fellow (experienced!) programmers that certain file names weren't permitted...

(I think a user typed CON into our program as data - only snag is the program used that data as a file name and promptly fell over ...)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden