Re: Directory name of aux is invalid

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Directory name of aux is invalid
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:23:04 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Paul Scott wrote:

> address@hidden wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 6, 2009, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> said:
> >
> > > The names are case-insensitive, and they cannot be used as directory
> > > names or the first part of a filename (the bit before the dot).
> >
> > please note, in DOS (and many of its contemporary file systems), what
> > users think of as the filename is not actually a ten character field
> > but in fact two seperate entitys, the name (6 characters), and a 3
> > character extension.
>
> It's actually (at least in DOS) an 8 character name and a 3 character
> extension and I'm not sure I can agree about the two separate entities
> part.

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#Directory_table I
see that it is indeed 8.3, and that the extension must be at a certain
offset, so in a way, name and extension _are_ separate.

Regarding the original issue ("aux" as a file/directory name) AFAIR if you
specify the absolute path, there are absolutely no problems.  Which means
that you _can_ have entities with that name, you just have problems
accessing them.

Ah, the ways we have to _bend_ over for this stupid outdated operating
system!

Ciao,
Dscho