Re: Frogs: oldaddlyrics in music-functions-init.ly

From: Andrew Wilson
Subject: Re: Frogs: oldaddlyrics in music-functions-init.ly
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 00:36:52 +0000

Seems pretty clear to me.  Thanks.

andrew

2009/1/6 Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden>
First of all, I think that the easiest way to develop LilyPond is to have a
buildable source tree, and I'd recommend it for anybody who's willing to go
to the effort to get it.

But with a little bit of directory magic, you can work without it.  Just go
into your main lilypond directory for the binary, and move out the ly/,
scm/, and input/ directories to some safe place. (e.g. a folder called
binary-dist).

Then you create a symbolic link in the main binary lilypond directory to the
ly/, scm/ and input/ directories from your git repository.  Now, although
the directories are actually in your git repository, they appear to the
binary to be in the binary directory.  And everything works just as if you
had built it from your git repository.

You can even create a batch file to copy out the binary distro files and
create the symbolic links, and another to delete the symbolic links and copy
back the binary distro files, if you want to make it easy to switch from
binary distro to git repo.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from building from source;
that's my preferred way.  But I don't want people who can't get build from
source working to think that they can't contribute to changes in .ly files
and .scm files.

Please let me know if this isn't clear.