Re: Frogs: oldaddlyrics in music-functions-init.ly

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Frogs: oldaddlyrics in music-functions-init.ly
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:07:24 -0700

On 1/7/09 2:37 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl D. Sorensen wrote Wednesday, January 07, 2009 4:37 AM

>>> Hm. Does Windows have symlinks now?
>>
>> cygwin does, which is where I used them.
>>
>> According to Wikipedia, Vista supports sym links, and XP supports
>> junctions,
>> which only work with directories, but that's what we need to do for this
>> bit
>> of magic.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link
>
> It's not quite that easy. You have to have the Create
> Symbolic Link privilege to use mklink to create a
> symbolic link.  This is only available by default to
> "elevated" admistrators.  To obtain that privilege
> you have to use the Local Security Policy management
> console, which is not distributed with Vista Home.
> There is a utility, ntrights.exe, in the Windows
> Server 2003 Resource Kit, apparently, which can also
> be used to do this, but this is not distributed with
> Vista Home either.  I gave up at that point, as there
> is an easier way:
>
> Simply rename (for example) the scm directory in
> Program Files and copy in the scm directory with
> contents from the git repository.  You need basic
> administrator privileges to do this, but this is
> easy to obtain.  Be sure to use the copy mechanism
> in Windows Explorer to do this.  If you use Save as
> from an editor the copy may be placed in the
> Program Files VirtualStore, which will work but will
> give you problems later.

The problem with this method is that every time you make a change
in the git repo, you have to copy the scm/ directory to Program
files.  The reason for wanting the symbolic link is so the files that
git works on are exactly the same files that lilypond reads from.

I don't have a Vista machine, so I can't explore possible solutions.

Could you try Juntion Link Magic?  It's freeware that is supposed to allow
you to create junctions in any version of Windows.

Here's the link:

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

Thanks,

Carl