Re: Frog mailing list discussion

From: Andrew Wilson
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 01:17:02 +0000

2009/1/8 Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden>
On 1/7/09 5:39 PM, "Andrew Wilson" <address@hidden> wrote:

> This was a complete disaster for me.  I quickly realised that it was
> a dual boot when what I was looking for was a virtual machine.
>
> I uninstalled it.  It trashed my machine.  I have now reinstalled
> windows four times trying to resurrect , user accounts, etc.
> I have now abandoned hope of fixing it.  Hopefully my backups
> are reasonably current.
>
> Use with extreme caution.
>
> Not a happy bunny.

Ouch!

Did you finish the installation before you uninstalled it?

Yes.  I rebooted the machine as saw that it had added
an option to boot Ubuntu.  that's when I realised that it
had made the machine dual boot.
How is your machine trashed?  It won't boot, the hard drive isn't
recognizable, or what?
It looks like it trashed the MBR, the machine couldn't
find an OS to boot.  No problem I thought, I'll just
replace the MBR and it'll all work.  Couldn't figure out
how to do that using the recovery console.  My DOS fu
obviously isn't up to it.  So I tried to repair the installation
instead. It asked me for the admin password.  I don't
like passwords this machine sits in my room, it's
secure, it doesn't need a password. This means I
probably gave it a password and then changed my
mind. Anyway, I have no idea what password I gave
it when I installed it about a year and a half ago.
I ended up Reinstalling onto the same disc.
If I wasn't trying to get it back the way it was I'd
probably have a few less installs.  I have a
working computer, I'm just going to have to
resurrect the user data from somewhere else.
I'm sorry to hear about your problem
No worries, stuff happens.
andrew