Re: French translation of notation-appendices.itely breaks make web

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: French translation of notation-appendices.itely breaks make web
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 08:27:13 +0800

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:36:47AM -0700, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
> P.S. I have a question about a style issue.  In notation-appendices.itely,
> there are lots of section introductions that begin "Vous pouvez .....".
> When I took French many years ago, I was taught that preferred French style
> would be "On peut ...".

They're both fluff and are discouraged in CG 3.3.5.
... yes, I just woke up and haven't eaten anything yet.  How could
you tell?  ;)

On a more civil note, I've stated before that translators have
wide authority to ignore the English "technical writing" rules.  I
mean, I'm sure that a Japanese reader would be shocked if a
Japanese technical manual used direct (casual) language rather
than the more flowery polite language (keigo).