Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:19:29 +0100

> Oh please.  There's perhaps a dozen people in the world who want
> to read info docs for lilypond.  Everybody else uses html or pdf.

Sure.  Before wanting something, you need to have a hunch that it could
be attainable.

> Now, I *will* admit that I've been confused and stymied by the
> lilypond build process.  I've also spent a few hours looking at it
> to try to add new things (docs and lsr, obviously), but have
> always given up and whined to Han-Wen or Jan or John to add the
> stuff I wanted.  I also agree that "make web" is *not* the most
> intuitive way to create the local documentation.
>
> But IMO there's more important tasks to tackle in the near future.

The best way to get tasks tackled is to have somebody else do them.  And
the most efficient way to get there is not to exhaust his resources to
the point of giving up before he happens to be working on the task he is
actually interested in.

> This isn't a problem for our end-users, and it doesn't appear to be a
> problem for any of our other contributors.

If "they don't touch it with a ten-foot pole" is not a problem, no.  It
is just inefficient if everyone with a possible interest of improving
things has to move through the same bottlenecks before starting.