Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:31:40 +0100

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:50:23PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Anyway, as it stands, there is no documentation in obvious places about
>> how to make things run, the build procedures are highly non-standard,
>> the targets are non-standard.
>>
>> I am holding a talk tomorrow about Lilypond on a Linux conference.  That
>> is the state I am going to report.
>
> They care deeply about the ease of compiling the bleeding-edge
> unstable branch?  Weird.

This is a conference with a serious amount of developers and
distribution coworkers.  If compiling Lilypond from source with default
settings means not getting the full docs, this is what all major
distributions will distribute: they all use compilation from source, not
least of all to be compliant with the GPL (namely have binaries
corresponding to the source).

That's all.  In my opinion not trivial if you want to address the large
crowd, because they will get the stuff from the repackagers, not
upstream directly.  If the repackaging is not smooth...