Re: default margins (moved from -user)

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: default margins (moved from -user)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 23:36:52 -0400

On 20 Mar 2009, at 14:36, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

On 3/20/09 11:42 AM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

continuation of this thread from lilypond-user:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-03/msg00364.html

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
It would seem to me that it would be better to
set maximum-line-width and minimum-line-width
properties. This would then allow the LilyPond
spacing engine to try adjusting line-width
between those limits to see if it could get
better spacing.

And by setting maximum-line-width and
minimum-line-width to the same values, you
would have exactly the current behavior.

If I used such a feature, I would want to be able
to specify that all systems on a single page be
the same length.

Maybe max-line-width-diff-per-page?

That would leave 3 relevant properties for the
user to control.

  min-line-width
  max-line-width
  max-line-width-diff-per-page

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
Just one thing ... isn't the right margin just
what's left after you add left margin and line
width? So altering the line width will alter the
right margin but leave the left untouched :-(

Maybe we should keep line-width and add
"line-width-tolerance - +" which will grab HALF
the adjustment from the left margin.

So where Carl's suggestion is left-justified,
Anthony's is centered.

These 4 properties could accommodate both:

  min-line-width
  max-line-width
  max-line-width-diff-per-page
  line-width-justification (left, center, right)

Though I wonder if the following 5 would be more
intuitive for the user:

  min-left-margin
  max-left-margin
  min-right-margin
  max-right-margin
  max-line-width-diff-per-page

Why would anybody want to have different line widths on the same page? That
would just look like a mistake.

I'd recommend

left-margin (which is never violated, i.e. it will always be at least this big, but may be bigger if the line is shorter and justification is either
'centered or 'right)
minimum-line-width
maximum-line-width
sytem-justification (which would be 'centered by default, but could be 'left
or 'right)

If left-margin is the minimum left margin for left-justification, what is the minimum right margin for right-justification? Is it page-width minus left-margin minus maximum-line-width? Seems like it should be, but it would be good to document it when the time comes.

Also, if someone is going to be touching this stuff, would it be possible to let all these variables be bound to functions accepting a page number and returning a value, or instead to have the framework call one function which returns a list of these values for the page?

Of course, after that I would ask for a way to make the page turner treat every mx+bth page as a turning point instead of just odd pages (2x+1), and who knows what else.

Regards,
--
Dan