Re: default margins (moved from -user)

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: default margins (moved from -user)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:42:00 -0700 (PDT)

continuation of this thread from lilypond-user:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-03/msg00364.html

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
> It would seem to me that it would be better to
> set maximum-line-width and minimum-line-width
> properties. This would then allow the LilyPond
> spacing engine to try adjusting line-width
> between those limits to see if it could get
> better spacing.
>
> And by setting maximum-line-width and
> minimum-line-width to the same values, you
> would have exactly the current behavior.

If I used such a feature, I would want to be able
to specify that all systems on a single page be
the same length.

Maybe max-line-width-diff-per-page?

That would leave 3 relevant properties for the
user to control.

   min-line-width
   max-line-width
   max-line-width-diff-per-page

Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> Just one thing ... isn't the right margin just
> what's left after you add left margin and line
> width? So altering the line width will alter the
> right margin but leave the left untouched :-(
>
> Maybe we should keep line-width and add
> "line-width-tolerance - +" which will grab HALF
> the adjustment from the left margin.

So where Carl's suggestion is left-justified,
Anthony's is centered.

These 4 properties could accommodate both:

   min-line-width
   max-line-width
   max-line-width-diff-per-page
   line-width-justification (left, center, right)

Though I wonder if the following 5 would be more
intuitive for the user:

   min-left-margin
   max-left-margin
   min-right-margin