good news for my PhD

From: Graham Percival
Subject: good news for my PhD
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:24:35 +0800

Hi all,

I've been offered a scholarship to do my PhD at the University of
Glasgow, which I'm of course eagerly accepting.  I'll be starting
in Sep or Oct.

To tie this in with lilypond, there's good news on two fronts:
1)  My supervisor-to-be is a big supporter of open source; I'm sure
that he won't mind if I take a few days off to nail some
particularly important problem in lilypond.
(and if nothing else, the university won't try to stop me from
contributing to open source -- that's a nontrivial concern in my
present gig, which is one reason that I'm not being a Frog right
now.  If I don't produce any copyrightable source code, then its
ownership can't be in question, right?)

2)  I might organize European vacations around other lilypond
contributors, starting with a weekend in Paris.
(not because I particularly want to see Paris -- I spent four days
there about 10 years ago, so I figure that I've seen everything
worth seeing :P.  But I thought it would be neat to argue with
Valentin face-to-face.  :)