Re: good news for my PhD

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: good news for my PhD
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:47:13 -0300

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> but, what is important to
>> know is that everything you do is copyrightable by you.
>
> ... unless I sign a contract which states that **any intellectual
> property I create**[1] is owned by the university.  Which I did,
> after a great deal of thought.  (actually, the first time I was
> offered this job, I turned it down after reading the regulations
> about intellectual property that were in the contract)
>
> [1] unless I can prove it was done on my own time, without
> university resources, in a field not related to my university
> degrees, etc etc.

Be smart: talk this over with The Powers that Be, and secure a
disclaimer. The FSF can provide you with a text that is legally sound.
 Show that to the PtB, explain your reasoning and have them sign it.
Unless you are in a directly competing area at a commercial
institution, this is usually not a problem at all.   Even if it might
not be strictly necessary in the UGlasgow case, it is always better to
have understandings explicitly on paper.