Re: good news for my PhD

From: Josh Parmenter
Subject: Re: good news for my PhD
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:40:33 -0700

if your advisor understands what you are contributing and is comfortable with it, you probably don't need to worry about it. It can always be said that your contributions are done on your own time, etc. The only way you may need to be concerned with anything is if LilyPond suddenly becomes a multi-million dollar business AND the university notices AND they want to take the time to see what your contribution was. In other words, many universities have these kinds of guidelines, but they aren't to go after you as you contribute to your field of work. I have even won awards on works produced as I was a grad student, and the university didn't concern itself with it... but, what is important to know is that everything you do is copyrightable by you. I just can't use the code and claim it as mine - there MUST be acknowledgement about where the source comes from. Even in an open- source project.

Congrats on your acceptance! I forgot to mention that in my first email.

Josh