Re: Tied accidentals in chords still taking up space (was: Issue 415 i

From: Chris Snyder
Subject: Re: Tied accidentals in chords still taking up space (was: Issue 415 in lilypond: Hidden accidental of tied note still takes space)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 22:51:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Saturday, March 28, 2009, Joe Neeman wrote:
> The problem is that the current support for conditional accidentals is
> insufficient if there are multiple accidentals, not all of which are
> tied (see bug 612). The reason is that the positions of all the
> accidentals can change completely when an accidental is added or
> removed. So I think we need to run the whole layout algorithm twice,
> once with the conditional accidentals and once without, and I suggested
> that copying all of the accidentals is the simplest way to do it. I
> realize that this goes against the convention of only cloning items in
> the breakable columns, but I don't see another way to do it; the
> formatting of such accidentals seems to be completely tied to their
> break status which justifies copying them for the same reason that we
> copy items in the breakable columns.

The only other way I see to do it would be to have each accidental
actually store two sets of spacing properties, and reference the correct
one depending on line-breaking. This approach doesn't seem any better to
me than what you've proposed.

>> I've glossed over the patch, and I am less than enthused: it seems to
>> add a lot of special casing and duplicate code for the reminder and
>> normal accidentals, and I have seen very dubious constructs like
>> get_property("accidental-grob") rather than get_object.
>
> I'll review the code shortly; I agree that it should be get_object.

I changed the get_object calls to get_property because the accidental-grob
callback I added to notehead to return the correct accidental grob wasn't
being called. What is the difference between objects and properties,
anyways?

Thanks,
-Chris