Re: linux distro recommendations?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: linux distro recommendations?
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 09:56:26 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:
Not really.  Ubuntu is debian, minus a working package system[1],
minus a decent initial install[2], plus hordes of newbies[3].

[1]  I consider the "package system" to be the package manager
software -- which I admit is (virtually) identical in Debian and
Ubuntu -- plus the community of package maintainers.  Debian's
package maintainers are miles ahead of ubuntu's, redhat's,
freebsd's, etc.

Does this mean that, for instance, Debian's repo will have more up-to-date versions of things like texi2html and fontforge? I've had problems with outdated versions of certain packages on Ubuntu. I've used Ubuntu for 18+ months now, and it was my first Linux distro. It was a good way to get started because in general things just work. I'm much more advanced now and am considering something like Arch or Debian. I wiped my Windows partition yesterday (now I can't test any Lilypond issues on Windows anymore...) to install xubuntu 9.04 and see if it's ready to use as my main system yet, but I might turn right around and try Debian on that partition. I've been curious about it for a while.

BTW I hear that Linux Mint (an Ubuntu derivative) is even more noob-friendly b/c it contains all the proprietary drivers and media codecs already and you don't have to go hunting around for them. Grab the (indecent) Live CD and give it a spin. ;)

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com