Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 08:59:29 -0500

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Does this now resemble something I can make generic and put in the
docs?

Not yet.  See below for something which fits better the 80 chars line
length limit.

Yes, for some reason when I tried this method before, it didn't work right. Works fine now so I must have missed something obvious. Thanks.

You've forgotten the driver files for the full score and the
movements; I've added it now.  Note that it wouldn't be necessary to
mention the *.ly files explicitly since the pattern rule automatically
looks for them.  Only the additional dependencies must be named.
However, I personally prefer to list them all to avoid confusion.  You
might remove them if you wish.

I think I'll keep the .ly files listed in the dependencies. Are these typos in the block below? It looks as if the $(piece)I.pdf after the colon should read "$(piece)I.ly". When I run "make movements" I get a message "circular dependency."

# The dependencies of the movements.
$(piece)I.pdf: $(piece)I.pdf $(notes)
$(piece)II.pdf: $(piece)II.pdf $(notes)
$(piece)III.pdf: $(piece)III.pdf $(notes)
$(piece)IV.pdf: $(piece)IV.pdf $(notes)

Any GNU Make extensions left in there?

Full of them. :-) To be serious: I suggest that we concentrate on GNU
make only since it is (a) available on almost all platforms and (b) is
really much more user friendly than other make programs.

Fine by me. I was getting annoyed not being able to use some of the cool stuff people were suggesting. :)

BTW, if you really can't use a `GNU make' binary, you can replace it
with the `makepp' program, written in perl:

  http://makepp.sf.net

A final point which I ask you to change: You should call the parts
something like `stamitz-cello.pdf' instead of just `cello.pdf'.  As
soon as you've written many scores it helps a lot if all output files
have names which makes identification easy.

Ok I'm trying to figure a way to make the output file names add $(piece)- to each one automatically instead of changing the source file names. Don't tell me how just yet, I'm keen to figure it out. :)

BTW I like the #comments in the makefile very much. Is it o.k. to keep those for the docs? They'd be very helpful for a noob, as you already know since you went to the trouble of writing them for me (and avoiding future dumb questions about what each command does. :) )

Thanks very much for all the help, Werner. I appreciate it. I'll try to work out how to change the output filenames to include $(piece) and then re-post the whole makefile.

Jon