Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 15:15:37 +1000

Jonathan> Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>> parts: $(LILY_CMD) $(wildcard Parts/*.ly) mv *.pdf $(OUTDIR)/
>> `wildcard' is a GNU extension.  It can be circumvented with shell
>> commands, however, I suggest to name the part files explicitly.

Jonathan> Pity.  In that case, the original approach is best for
Jonathan> portability I suppose.  Here's how I have the "parts" target
Jonathan> now:

There are alternatives.  The main objection I have to the form of
makefile you propose is that dependencies are not tracked, so editing
one file will either not rebuild anything, or will rebuild everything
(depending on the rules).

In general, it's best to name all the inputs directly.
--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia