Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 22:30:15 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:

I really meant things like spanner-init.ly : fundamental lilypond
.ly files which must be loaded.  But yes, it should also be done
to things like english.ly.

I was only thinking about input files holding all the notes and macros. Should the language files and old styles like gregorian also be .ily files?

I think so.  The general rule would be that lilypond files which
contain no notes or music should be .ily.

This is different from what we were discussing on the other thread. My understanding was that the .ily should be used for any lilypond file that is not meant to have a lilypond command applied to it, _including_ files containing notes (but no \score block or even an implied one) and stylesheet macros, so that if the lilypond command were given for all the .ly files in a directory, it wouldn't mistakenly try to compile files that only had something like "mynotes = \relative c' { c d e f }. It would instead compile a .ly file, which would \include the .ily files that held the notes. I don't think any of us were thinking of -init files, although it sounds like a good idea to use .ily on those as well.

so I'm asking somebody to take the
next step: integrate this with lilypond.

- change (almost) everything in ly/ to .ily.
- update the internal "loading included files" stuff.
- update the docs (i.e. \include "gregorian.ly" should now
  just be "gregorian.ily")
I can manage this part. I'll have to do some scouring if we want to change all instances of \include "filename.ly" in the docs.

No you won't.  You make the convert-ly rule.  Make sure you
include everything in the ly/ dir.  Then run convert-ly on the
docs, regtests, input/lsr, etc.

If anything doesn't work, then you missed something in the
convert-ly rule.  You really shouldn't need to manually change the
docs at all.

(now, if you're not comfortable changing convert-ly, then you'll
either need to learn, or wait for somebody else to do it)

I'm not comfortable doing a convert-ly rule. I can't do Python so I'll let someone else do this.

I also still have to incorporate Carl's suggestions on nested \relative stuff from another thread. (I haven't forgotten!)

I'd do that first, since it's easier.  And speaking of forgetting,
there were two other doc items that people offered to do, but who
haven't completed them.  Ideally you'd know what I'm talking
about, and go pester those people.

OK I'll just stick with the doc stuff. I don't remember the other doc items you speak of, though. If someone else remembers please give me a heads-up. There was a big thread on OSX that I ignored so that could certainly be one of the issues.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com