Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 20:42:34 +0800

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:58:24PM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2009/5/20 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Oh yes.  I can't even count the number of times I've sung "A sharp
> > eight dot dash dash dash dot open left parenthesis".  It makes
> > writing lilypond very easy!
>
> Italian note names are much more pleasing from a vocal point of view :-)

I can't count the numbers of times I've sang "mi eight dot dash
dash dash dot open left parenthesis", either.  :P

> > Umm... how is this worse than everything else in lilypond?
> > \relative, \clef, \key, \time (vs. \times!),
> > \numericTimeSignature...
>
> Yes, but that's not the first thing you have to type. (Granted,
> \relative will be required.)

Ok, you have a point here.

> > I'm not certain how these suggestions would define the scope of
> > the command.
>
> I'm not certain I understand this sentence. How can renaming a
> shortcut limit its scope?

Renaming it wouldn't, but something like
  \relative c' "italiano" { }
would.  Not that that's the only, or best, option, but on a
technical sense it might be easier to handle.

By the way, who's offering to spend the 5-20 hours required to
implement such changes to the parser?  (whatever we end up
deciding)
I mean, if nobody's willing to do it, then there's no point
discussing it further.