Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 00:10:34 +0800

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 05:28:46PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I really meant things like spanner-init.ly : fundamental lilypond
> > .ly files which must be loaded.  But yes, it should also be done
> > to things like english.ly.
>
> I always considered \include for a language declaration a rather ugly
> kludge.

Personally, I consider different language declarations _itself_ to
be a rather ugly kludge.  It's not hard to adapt to -is and -es...
I did it after a few days, and I'd never heard of that notation
before.

Quite apart from the programming parser-changing stuff, it just
gets in the way when people submit bug reports or code snippets on
-user and forget to include their "english.ly".  :|

>  In particular since it warps the interpretation for all further
> input/include files.

Surely that's a feature, not a bug.  Somebody who wanted to use
Finnish accidentals would then add
  \include "finnish.ly"
to their personal settings.ly.  Then, when they add
  \include "settings.ly"
to every file, it automatically sets up their preferred language
as well.