Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 18:08:44 +0200

2009/5/17 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> Personally, I consider different language declarations _itself_ to
> be a rather ugly kludge.  It's not hard to adapt to -is and -es...
> I did it after a few days, and I'd never heard of that notation
> before.

No. We /have/ to think about newcomers. Children,
non-English-speakers, your grandmother, etc.
I have handled several LilyPond-discovery-sessions with various kinds
of people, and I can tell you the \include thing is discouraging. A
long command in English only, such as \setNotesLanguage, is only a bit
better. If I had anything to do with it, I'd go for a very short
command such as

\lang "italiano"

or even preset shortcuts such as

\italiano

(and, yes, we perfectly can afford having such shorcuts; we don't
support 36 different languages, for crying out loud.)

Besides, I for one, would not have half as much of a pleasant
experience writing music if I couldn't write if using my own language.
(And singing the note names while typesetting :-)

> Quite apart from the programming parser-changing stuff, it just
> gets in the way when people submit bug reports or code snippets on
> -user and forget to include their "english.ly".  :|

This doesn't happen everyday... And perhaps they'd be less likely to
forget a simpler, shorter command.

Regarding the .ily thing: what about renaming only the -init files for
now? This would hardly break a thing.

Regards,
Valentin