Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 17:28:46 +0200

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 06:12:28PM -0500, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
>> Graham Percival wrote:
>>> In the large "DOC: Makefile" thread that nobody new is going to
>>> read, there was a proposal to use .ily to indicate "setup"
>>> lilypond files.
>>>
>> by "setup" files do you mean stuff like "english.ly"?
>
> I really meant things like spanner-init.ly : fundamental lilypond
> .ly files which must be loaded.  But yes, it should also be done
> to things like english.ly.

I always considered \include for a language declaration a rather ugly
kludge.  In particular since it warps the interpretation for all further
input/include files.

I'd rather have something like

\notelanguage "english" { ... }

which switches the parser to english language while parsing the given
expression (and loads internally some .ily file once with the required
information if necessary, retaining it for further switches).