Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Using .ily for included lilypond files
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 18:12:28 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:
In the large "DOC: Makefile" thread that nobody new is going to
read, there was a proposal to use .ily to indicate "setup"
lilypond files.

by "setup" files do you mean stuff like "english.ly"? I was only thinking about input files holding all the notes and macros. Should the language files and old styles like gregorian also be .ily files?

I quite like this suggestion,

Me too. I've already adjusted my own projects to use this convention and it makes for much more elegant filenames. :)

so I'm asking somebody to take the
next step: integrate this with lilypond.

- change (almost) everything in ly/ to .ily.
- update the internal "loading included files" stuff.
- update the docs (i.e. \include "gregorian.ly" should now
  just be "gregorian.ily")

I can manage this part. I'll have to do some scouring if we want to change all instances of \include "filename.ly" in the docs. I know there are some in the LM part about style sheets. I'll start digging and changing. I also still have to incorporate Carl's suggestions on nested \relative stuff from another thread. (I haven't forgotten!)

- make a convert-ly rule.  Any of the built-in files (i.e.
  accordian.ly) should be changed automatically.  Since we
  still support including .ly, we don't need to print out
  a warning for other files.
- add a NEWS item.