Re: centering of instrument names

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: centering of instrument names
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:20:24 -0700

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Francisco Vila <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think instrument names were recently implemented in a centered
> column by default. I would like to help improving this because the
> exact location of every name is at first well computed but finally
> wrongly typeset, as the braces are not taken into account. Currently,
> names of staves or groups without a brace are typeset too much at the
> right, losing the centered aspect initially intended.

Could you send some examples that illustrate the problem(s)?

> At first I'm trying to understand how it works and then I'll ask for
> help when I'm lost (presumably soon)

The values for many of the paper variables are hardcoded in
ly/paper-defaults-init.ly.  Other variables (line-width, indent,
short-indent) are calculated in terms of the paper size in
scm/paper.scm.

It sounds like you want to see indent and short-indent automatically
adjust so that instrument names are always centered.  Is this correct?

-Patrick