Re: two patches

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: two patches
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 23:56:16 +0200

Carl D. Sorensen a écrit :
So, in this particular case, changing Lilypond to LilyPond qualifies as a
simple text subtitution, I guess?
Yes.

My confusion came from not understanding that the proposed patch constituted
"General maintenance."

All historical developers and contributors have never took trouble to ask permission to fix typos or spelling in translations. If you skim through doc translations history, you'll see a bunch of commits from Werner, me or Francisco that apply to all languages.

I have read po/README, and I can't understand the policy.  Probably it's
because I don't really understand the .po architecture, and I'm not sure I
want to get into it at this point.

Unless you feel particular interest on this, you'd probably better spend your time not getting into it.

2) I don't know what it means to clean up the lilypond.pot header to make it
look like its previous state.  If there were an example of a before and
after, then I would have less discomfort about playing with it.

There is an example repeated lots of time in Git history, but as I'm still alive and available to mess with this, you don't have to.

3) commit only lilypond.pot to Git and reset all .po files:  does this mean
to do
git add po/lilypond.pot
git commit
git checkout po/*.po

Again, I could figure this out, I think, but I don't know what the desired
outcome is, so I wouldn't know if I had done it right, or how to tell if I
had done it right.
The desired outcome is, lilypond.pot should be updated in Git but the not the .po files.

6) Do we want lots of people sending notification to the FTP coordinator, or
should this be a TranslationMeister-only job?  I kind of thought that the
interface with the FTP should be pretty carefully controlled.  I assumed
that these notes were intended for the TranslationMeister, not the
FrogMeister.

You are right; only when I'm unavailable for a while somebody else may do this job.

Thanks for all your hard work.  I hope I haven't added too much to your
load.

Thanks for all your comments, I'll edit the CG (including merging po/README) accordingly on my next free day (Monday).
John