Re: web shortcut

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: web shortcut
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:23:51 +0200

2009/5/29 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Yes, that does sound too stupid.  :)   We already have the google
> tracker.  Don't re-invent the wheel.

Thank you for the smiley.

>> Also, other B.T.S. have asignees per bug,
>
> "asignees" as in "Graham will work on this bug"?  We can use the
> "owner" field for this.  I mean, nobody cares whether the bug was
> added by me or Valentin.

True! Then this would mean "Graham _wants_ to work on this bug and he
has marked it as 'mine' so he will fix it sooner or later because he
sees himself like the perfect guy to do it, although right now he
cannot find the time".

"Owner" for short.

The information on "creator" would be lost if we use the same field.
Flyspray has "creator" plus "asignee".

> The problem is that we don't have enough bug fixers.  If we get so
> many Frogs that there's a danger of people working on the same
> bugs, sure, we can start fiddling with the issue tracker.  But
> right now, I really can't see that additional layer of "paperwork"
> having a net gain on productivity.

If I'd see an easy [web] bug for me, I'd mark it as mine, think of it
as a micro-compromise of a smaller grain, I see it as a gain on
productivity because possibly huge tasks are never taken by their
size.

Compare "rework the stylesheet" against "fix broken links in main page".

Besides, I think we use the mailing list as a bugtracker's extension
(and sometimes the bugtracker itself as a mailing list).

Well, remember that I am talking with the oncoming web project in
mind, and we need to evaluate the current use given to the bugtracker
as being (or not being) idoneous for working on the web.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org