Re: development on windows

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: development on windows
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:50:15 -0500

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:

The goal of this iso to make it usable on a virtualization tool. The open source Sun VirtualBox can for example mount this as the virtual hard disk.
Once it's ready maybe I can create a torrent? I've never done that before but it's probably the best way to transfer it. It'll take a while.
I can also give you FTP access to one of the servers run by me where you could upload it. That would be the easiest.

Success!  Ok here's what I have:

lilybuntu.iso (717 MB)

It's based on standard Ubuntu 9.04 with GNOME desktop environment. I figured this would be the most user-friendly interface for Linux newbies. Almost all desktop applications have been removed. The only big one left is Firefox. It has Gedit, nano, or vim-tiny text editors, Evince document viewer, gnome-terminal, and the nice GUIs for package management and all repos enabled if users want to install anything else.

It has all dependencies necessary to build Lilypond and the Documentation, including texi2html 1.82, which I compiled myself and is a few versions newer than what's available in the Ubuntu repo.

I tried hard to get it under 700 MB but couldn't get it there. I got it down to 717 from 853 by removing all the texlive documentation (I didn't realize that for every package "texlive-foo" it was also installing "texlive-foo-doc").

After making the .iso I tested it in Sun VirtualBox OSE and everything worked perfectly. Here are the exact steps I followed (see if you think they're noob-friendly enough):

1. Install the OS in VirtualBox, then restart the virtual machine and log in
2. open a terminal
3. open firefox
4. Get lilypond source code from git by copying the terminal commands in CG (have to use Ctrl+Shift+V to paste into terminal)
5. run ./autogen.sh, then "make all" and "sudo make install"
6. cd Documentation/user
7. make doc
8. use Evince to view pdf output

It took a while for everything to build since I only allocated 384 Mb of RAM to the VM, but it worked flawlessly.

Bert, if you send me ftp login info privately I can upload it to your server. Maybe I can do it at the office in evening hours and it'll go a lot faster. I only have 256K upload speed at home. :(

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com