Re: Copyright issues

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Copyright issues
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 13:16:52 +0200

Op dinsdag 08-09-2009 om 13:02 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Joseph
Wakeling:
> Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > Op dinsdag 08-09-2009 om 12:34 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Joseph
> > Wakeling:
> >
> >> The
> >> copyright file in my distro (Ubuntu) refers to GPLv2 or later
> >
> > Which file are you referring to, and what does it say?
>
> /usr/share/doc/lilypond/copyright
>
> Its contents:

>     This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>     it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>     the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>     (at your option) any later version.

I cannot imagine this ever having been in the lilypond sources.  It
may have been copied from somewhere else, possibly by mistake.

> All the other scripts and control files for building and installing
> GNU LilyPond under Debian GNU/Linux are also under the GNU General
> Public License (GPL) version 2 or later.

*also* -- very confusing

> I didn't read it properly before, but it looks like a severely
> out-of-date notice added by the Debian packager which no one has ever
> bothered to revise.

Not only out-of-date, but also /wrong/.  I just checked our sources,
a very early one and the one that was claimed to be packaged

   git show release/{1.0.1,2.2.2}:{COPYING,main.cc}

and none of these contain the "or later" clause.

A bug report should be filed here, any takers?

Thanks,
Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org