Re: Copyright issues

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Copyright issues
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:51:15 +0200

Am Dienstag, 8. September 2009 16:19:43 schrieb Hans Aberg:
> On 8 Sep 2009, at 15:06, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> >> On 8 Sep 2009, at 02:42, Joe Neeman wrote:
> >>
> >> I think that copyright only applies to how it is redistributed
> >
> > Almost, copyright is about copying.
>
> Quote?
>
> >> So its GPL version will apply
> >
> > No, it does not, as Joe pointed out.
> > Can you please read the GNU GPL before spreading too much nonsense?
>
> It is not about the GPL, but the WIPO copyright treaty, and copyright
> law. The GPL cannot override that.

gs is GPL v3+, so anything that links to it has to be compatible to GPL v3.
Lilypond doesn't link, but simply call it, so there's no restriction here.

However, as the installer also bundles gs, the provisions about distributing
copies of gs found in the GPL v3 have to be fulfilled. Section "6. Conveying
Non-Source Forms." is about distributing compiled versions, but I don't see
any further restrictions there (source code available, etc, of course).

So, what's the problem here?

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886