Re: Switching to Waf instead of SCons?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Switching to Waf instead of SCons?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 00:28:03 +0200

Le mardi 08 septembre 2009 à 19:53 +0100, Graham Percival a écrit :
> For the record (as discussed in private email), I'm quite
> concerned about waf's relative new-ness and occasional lack of
> development.  My preference would be to use a stable, widely used
> build system, since any problems in the build system can cause a
> huge problem to developers.

Yes, and slowness is one problem I doubt SCons can address.  As far as I
ahve looked (not very far), it uses so many more classes and class
instantiations than Waf in the user scripts, for example.

> That said, lilypond *does* have a
> history of pushing the edge, both in terms of libraries, but also
> with git.  So I guess that waf would fit nicely in that.  :)

Exactly :-P

> The most important two factors, in my mind, are "how interested
> are you?" (very interested), and "will you have enough time to
> finish it?".  I'm not so concerned about using waf for everything,
> but do you think you can get the docs using waf before you become
> busy again?

Frankly, I don't know right now, and anyway I've already become busy
again; more important is when will have no longer the right to spend a
lot of time on Lily development (from January).  I'm going to learn Waf
and play with it a little, then I'll be able to compute an estimation.

Cheers,
John