Re: Switching to Waf instead of SCons?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Switching to Waf instead of SCons?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 00:12:00 +0200

Le mardi 08 septembre 2009 à 21:12 +0200, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
> BTW, there is a `better make', written in Perl:
>
>   http://makepp.sourceforge.net/
>
> According to this page, makepp `currently runs only on probably all
> Linux/Unix-variants and Windows, as well as Ebcdic platforms BS2000
> and z/OS. In principle it should run anywhere you have Perl 5.6.0, or
> higher.'

Interesting.  The first impression I get when I read it's written in
Perl is negative, but the little part of the code I looked at looks
well.  The main disavantage of it IMHO is, it tries to be (only mostly)
compatible with makefiles, so the extensibility it provides is at the
cost of mixing make with another language (Perl), which makes with shell
language three languages in scripts of a build system.  What a
nightmare!

Best,
John